Exploring unique artists in Andalucia

Hola from the Sierra Nevada Spain.  As many of you know I spend time here each year tending my garden, implementing my permaculture project and walking the mountains. One of the blessings of this place is the interesting and inspirational people that cross my path. Artists are, for obvious reasons drawn to this beautiful area and I have become friends with quite a few over the years. I thought it could be interesting to share with you some of their work and stories.

Christine Morro is one such artist, writer, photographer and teacher. Her home is Long Island where she works as an artist. Seventeen years ago she happened upon Capileira,one of the highest villages in the Sierras, she was deeply moved and so began a yearly pilgrimage. She has a deep love for the wild side of nature and the stillness and vastness of these landscapes allows her to honour and explore this side of her artistic soul. We live in an age where going slow is a luxury, Christine has made this into an art. Sharing time with her or simply looking deeply into one of her photographs or paintings becomes a moment of stopping, breathing and seeing the mountains that I know so well in a fresh and new way.

She lives and works from her studio Casa Lenador. The vistas are breathtaking and give Christine ample opportunity to communicate with the landscape that has now become part of who she is. Her art springs from this delicate and intimate relationship. She walks the mountains regularly, listening, gazing, feeling and when moved responds by creating delicate but strong zen like prints in blue or plays with water colours. This current collection Christine had named Blue Mountain.

As we print ourselves I was, needless to say, fascinated by the art of monoprinting and she was kind enough to give a demonstration and even let me paint and print my own piece of art. What is apparent is that this is a spontaneous painterly method of printing. Quite unique, as the end result has a lustrous luminous quality.

The process begins with Christine painting on a plate. She uses tools that she has personally made from objects she has gathered on her meanderings: sheep’s wool, grass, wood etc. then proceeds to paint, creating scratch marks on the plate. This is a reflective space where all that she has absorbed from the mountain is transferred to the plate.

Self portrait Christine

Once the artwork is complete it is placed on the printing press, covered with quality paper, blankets then rolled.

You are never quite sure what the end results will be. Unfortunately my pics do not do justice to these beautiful works of art.

Below is Christine putting some water colours into a series. These little cameos dialogue with one another and are best viewed in a group.

Christine likes to infuse her work with elements from the mountain, below is some earth pigment that she played with.

Christine has a little ritual of taking 8 sheets of paper on her daily walk, she finds a spot: the mountain speaks and she paints in watercolor then back in the studio reworks in pastels. The results are rich and deeply evocative of these sierras that I know so well.

If you are looking for inspiration and interested in learning more about the art of printmaking here are a few books from Christine’s collection. You can also visit her website
www.forthetimebeing.weebly.com
and her prints are available for sale.

Thank you Christine for an inspiring visit and sharing with me your tranquil space, your art and a life that is lived so authentically.

*Land art Christine

Warm Wishes

2017-09-01T15:21:14+00:00 August 30th, 2017|News|12 Comments

12 Comments

1. Linda 1st September 2017 at 4:30 pm - Reply

This is lovely. Thanks for sharing the beautiful surrounds, the work of the artist and all round inspirational story.
    As an artist (in my spare time), I really appreciate the cameos received here.
    I even passed it on to my art teacher.

much appreciated, Linda

• Carole 2nd September 2017 at 5:38 pm - Reply

Dear Linda, it makes me very happy to know that you find this sharing to be worthwhile. I think sharing the stories of people, albeit artists, who live authentic lives can uplift and encourage us in this pursuit. Thank you.

2. Maurice 1st September 2017 at 5:10 pm - Reply

Thanks Carole for sharing with us! i would love to know where is this special place, village where both of you meet, in case, one day i pop around there!

• Carole 2nd September 2017 at 5:34 pm - Reply

Dear Maurice we meet in las Alpujarras, Capileira, Andalucia, Spain. Thank you for taking time to read my blog and respond.

3. Dalene 2nd September 2017 at 7:59 am - Reply

A aah, Carole, I just love these emails….insight into what inspires your wonderful materials and designs and for those of us, not perhaps able to go to such places, or translate our feelings into beautiful pieces of art, an opportunity to do so, by proxy!!
    I sent my daughter a parcel of your ‘scrap’ materials and she made purses, wallets and phone covers for herself and friends….I like the idea of South African material travelling the globe!
    I am getting inspired as I look at your pictures and think I might start myself….I have given many of your cushion covers and serviettes/tray cloths, as overseas gifts, as light and easy to post….I will be forwarding this email to my daughter, today….you are creating a network of inspiration!…and joy….please keep them coming.Dalene

• Carole 2nd September 2017 at 5:30 pm - Reply

Dear Dalene thank you for taking the time to respond. It is motivating to get feedback and makes me want to try harder to create something worthwhile, beautiful and meaningful. Thank you also for supporting us, without the support of people like you it would be impossible to continue. If you yearn to be creative start, creativity exists in each one of us. Best wishes and if you have a chance please come and visit our factory/studio.

4. Frank 3rd September 2017 at 5:44 am - Reply

Thanks for sharing the breath-taking art of Christine Morro…

• Carole 4th September 2017 at 12:24 am - Reply

Thank you for taking the time to read it Frank.

5. Betsy Peerless 3rd September 2017 at 7:34 pm - Reply

Such a beautiful account of one of my dearest and most talented friends…this article honors Christine, alongside her art and creative process, and of course the mountains and nature, which she will always give precedence to beyond any scope of self acclaim. I can’t wait for her return home and all her summer sharing – this is a great introduction. Thank you for supporting Christine and her art of living, meditation and creation

• Carole 4th September 2017 at 12:26 am - Reply

Thank you Betsy your comments are deeply appreciated,

6. Vanda Chamberlain 4th September 2017 at 4:19 am - Reply

thanks so much for sharing
    truly beautiful work

7. Patricia tedeschi 5th September 2017 at 4:09 pm - Reply

Thank you for sharing my sisters talent and work. I look forward to you featuring other artists.